WC Life

Founding of Georgetown Historical Marker

Founding of Georgetown Historical Marker
  • Share this on Facebook
  • Tweet this
  • Pin this
  • Share this on LinkedIn
  • Share this on Google+

According to local tradition Williamson County’s first six commissioners met here under a stately oak tree in May 1848 to decide where the county seat should be located. Prominent local landowner George Washington Glasscock, Sr., later joined them and offered to donate an area of land bounded by the tree at one corner and the San Gabriel River to the north and west as a site for the county seat. The commissioners accepted his offer and in July 1848 named the town Georgetown in Glasscock’s honor. The landmark oak tree later fell down by a storm in 1886.


Founding of Georgetown Historical Marker
201 East 9th Street
Georgetown, TX 78626


Related Listings

There are no related listings.

Considering Relocating?

Connect with Us